A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
+ + + DING-DONG! + + +
+ + + PRE-PRE-PRE-ALPHA VERSION 4 NOW AVAILABLE! + + +
Change Log HERE
Who or what are the Autonauts?
The 'Automationauts' (to give them their fuller, grander, longerwindeder title) travel the universe with the sole goal of setting worlds in motion through the power of automation.
They harness whatever natural resources are available; they learn fast and can eventually make pretty much anything from anything. But their most important creations are workerbots, which can be made from the crudest of materials and taught to do anything an Autonaut can do so they can get on with helping species evolve.
+ + + WORK IN PROGRESS + + +
This pre-pre-pre-Alpha release is lacking refinement and presentation - and it can take some getting into - but under the rough edges there's a great example of what we're doing and where we're going.
How to Play
Use a combination of mouse and keyboard.
- WASD or SHIFT+RMB to pan the camera around.
- Mousewheel zooms the camera in and out.
- LMB tells your Autonaut where to go and what to do.
- LMB also picks things up and makes things happen.
- RMB drops things.
- Space blows your whistle so you can get the attention of workerbots.
- I brings up your inventory: what's in your hands and your backpack; you can drag and drop objects between slots - and even trade with your workerbots.
- , and . (< and >) cycle forwards and backwards through your inventory (to swap the item in your hands).
- / or Q stows the held item (assuming there's space in your inventory) so you can use your empty hands for other tasks.
- E brings up the Edit Menu, which is where you choose what to build; note that some things can only be built on flooring.
- R rotates building blueprints clockwise, so you can choose which way they face.
- RMB deletes a blueprint; DEL (fn-backspace on Mac) allows you to delete buildings once built (but only while in Edit Mode).
- Esc pauses the game and brings up the Pause Menu, from where you can save and load progress.
In this basic world you will find earth, sand, sea, fresh water, clay, rock, trees and cereal - and the resident folk, who are content to sit around in the buff, doing nothing.
And speaking of nothing, that's exactly what you start with. But from these humble beginnings you can build and automate an entire civilisation. Well, you can when the game's further along; for now you can only start a forestry and cereal farming, and provide shelter and food for the folk.
You can also make and teach robots how to do anything you can do, which is aces.
Autonauts is so early in its development that we won't be able to guarantee the compatibility of saved games between versions (but we will do our best to minimise issues).
Also, the Linux version is untested (because we don't have Linux) but there have been enough requests for a version that we thought we'd give it a try. Of course, if it doesn't work out as practical then we'll leave it alone for the time being :)
Handy Quickstart Guide
Ooh! And Aaron's very kindly done a 'quickstart' for you...
- Pick up a Stick, pick up a Stone and build a Crude Axe.
- Chop down some Trees.
- Go to the Edit Menu (E) and select 'Simple Flooring' blueprint; place two Simple Flooring blueprints down side by side.
- Build the Simple Flooring by putting Logs into it.
- Call up the Edit Menu again and select Crude Bench Saw blueprint; place one on the built flooring.
- Build the Crude Bench Saw by putting Logs and Planks into it (use your axe to chop Logs to make Planks).
- Add a 'Worker Assembler' blueprint (which doesn't need to be on the Simple Flooring).
- Use the Crude Bench Saw to make Planks and Poles for the Worker Assembler.
- Add a 'Basic Workbench' blueprint (you might need more Simple Flooring) and build it.
- Click the Basic Workbench and change it to output 'Crude Gear.'
- Stick a Plank into the Basic Workbench to get a Crude Gear out.
- Add the Crude Gear to the Worker Assembler along with Planks and Poles to make your first Workerbot.
- Press Space to whistle and select your Workerbot.
- Click 'Trade' and put an Axe into its hand (you'll also need an axe for yourself).
- Click 'Teach' then chop a tree; click 'Repeat' and then 'Go' to get the Workerbot started.
- Sit back and enjoy watching your Workerbot chop trees forever (well, until its axe breaks).
- Now automate EVERYTHING!
If you still get stuck, don't forget to check out our YouTube playthrough of the first version. And don't be shy: feel free to vent in the comments below or use the following official channels...
|Published||21 days ago|
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Release date||21 days ago|
|Tags||automation, building, City Builder, Crafting, farming, Management, Robots, Sandbox, world-builder|
|License||All rights reserved|
|Asset license||All rights reserved|
|Average session||A few minutes|
Click download now to get access to the following files: